Inspired by International Migrants Day, celebrated today, Wednesday 18th December, we are launching a campaign to gain signatures on the website Visibles.org, to encourage people to commit to a culture of hospitality towards migrants, based on welcoming, diversity and kindness.
# IPledge my support to migrants, refugees and asylum seekers
We know that moving to live in a different country is a normal occurrence and, as a result, our society is, and will continue to become, more diverse. This is why it is essential to promote a culture that openly welcomes refugees, diversity and encourages conviviality. Migrants and people in transit, people seeking asylum and refugees, unaccompanied minors and young people, all have rights and needs that have to be upheld.
As a person who pledges their support to Human Rights:
- I affirm that everyone has the right to leave their country in search of a livelihood and security; and they also have the right to be welcomed with respect and kindness.
- I reject the prejudices, rumours and criminalisation of migrants and of human rights activists and NGO’s.
- I sign and pledge my support to people who leave their homes in order to seek protection and a place of peace, to:
- Voice my support, showing my concern for the reality faced by the people who escape from violence and poverty, and rejecting false claims and xenophobia.
- Stand with people who are looking to build a future, far from home, in our country, and offer them support in my community, my neighbourhood or my city.
- Act and defend, holding political authorities accountable and urging them to protect these people from violence, repression and inequality, defending their basic human rights, that every single person deserves.
Support from each and everyone of you is very important. With your signature you will be helping those people who are migrating and seeking refugee.
This initiative is inspired by a petition by the Ignation Solidarity Network and is supported by the campaign ‘Hospitalidad’. It is open to all related organisations that share their objectives and want to help involve local people and promote a culture of kindness and welcoming.
– (Día del Migrante) This English translation has been possible thanks to the PerMondo project: Free translation of website and documents for non-profit organisations. A project managed by Mondo Agit. Translator: Hester Hill.